Zetta's Red Sauce
Saute in about 2 Tbs. oil until soft
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 2 gloves garlic crushed
- 2 cans whole tomatoes (smooched up in your hand to smaller pieces) - add juice, too (these are the smaller cans or 1 big can)
- 2 cans tomato paste - 6 oz
- 2 cans water (tomato paste can)
- 2 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 2 big or 3 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme - dry powdered kind
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dry parsley flakes
1. Cook on low heat, covered for abou3/12 hours on low heat- stirring often. It burns on the bottom easily. Use heavy pan.
2. I think Nadine has the original recipe. I might have changed it over the years to what I like. I round off the top of the spoon on the thyme, allspice and chili powder, but not to the point of doubling them. The original had celery in with the onions and garlic, but somewhere along the line I took it out.
It's chilly out here today, so now I guess it's time to make a batch for myself. These days, I make a batch and freeze in containers. I get about 6 meals out of it. It's still my favorite spaghetti sauce. I put the meatballs in about half way through the cooking or they fall apart. Once I put in Italian sausage rather than meatballs, but it made the sauce taste completely different. Now if I want sausage, I make a sausage sandwich, with this sauce. It's pretty danged good.