Oeufs ala Neige
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Oeufs ala Neige (Floating Island) (229)
Yields: 8 Servings
- 1 2/2 Cups Egg Whites – About 12
- ½ Tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 ½ Cups Sugar – Super Fine
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla
- Custard Sauce
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 ½ Cups Milk
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Vanilla
- 1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- 2. Start beating the egg whites at slow until they are foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and salt. Increase speed to high.
- 3. When egg whites are at soft peaks gradually add sugar ¼ cup at a time until you have shiny stiff peaks. Beat in vanilla.
- 4. Scoop into a buttered and sugared 4-5 quart casserole (straight-sided) dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer plunge through the side of the soufflé comes out clean. If necessary bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Cool at room temperature. It will deflate during this time.
- 6. For the custard sauce, beat the egg yolks and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Gradually stir in hot milk.
- 7. Cook over medium heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Stir in vanilla. Stir in butter.
- 8. Chill and serve over the Island.